One page chromolithographic plate with some tearing around the edges. Printed by the West Shore Lithographing and Engraving Company in 1887 in Portland, Oregon; begun by Leopold Samuel in 1875 mainly for printing the West Shore newspaper. See below for more information. Size of illustration: 5.75" x 10"
From wikipedia.com: "West Shore magazine produced many finely executed
illustrations of scenery, architecture, and commerce in Oregon,
Washington, California, Idaho, Montana, British Columbia, and Alaska.However, its original illustrations were limited to small black and white wood engravings. It added lithography in 1878. Color lithography illustrations were introduced in 1886. Finally, the magazine switched to halftone photoengraving just prior to closing in 1891.
After the first few years of publication, the magazine began
using itinerant artists and engravers to produce local illustrations.
In 1881, the magazine hired its first full-time artist, Henry Epting.
His first illustrations appeared in the July 1881 issue. Illustrator
Junius F. Whiting joined the staff in early 1882, and Albert B. Burr was
hired a year later. These excellent artists produced numerous
illustrations for each addition of the magazine. In 1883 alone, there
were 282 illustrations used in the magazine's twelve regular issues. In
1884, Clarence L. Smith, another excellent artist and lithographer,
joined the staff as head of the art department. Two years later,
William H. Byrnes replaced Epting, allowing the flow of illustrations to
continue without interruption.
Samuel also run the West Shore Lithographing and Engraving Company,
using the magazine's art staff to produce illustrations for catalogs,
maps, portraits, printed labels, and business forms for banks and others
commercial enterprises. Samuel regularly advertised this business in
issues of West Shore, allowing the magazine illustrations to highlight the quality of the lithography and engraving work his company produced.
In 1886, Smith, Epting, Burr, and Byrnes were among the founding
members of the Pacific Northwest's first artist organization, the Portland Art Club. Samuel, though not an artist, was also a founding member of the club. West Shore
announced the formation of the new art club in its February 1886
edition. Other members of the Portland Art Club who contributed works
to West Shore included Cleveland S. Rockwell, James E. Stuart, Charles Clyde Benton Cooke, Edward Lincoln Espey, and Grafton Tyler Brown.
Over the years, the illustrations originally published in West Shore
have been reproduced in a wide variety of books and articles. Today,
the magazine's illustrations provide a detailed record of the Pacific
Northwest as it existed in the second half of the nineteenth century.
The original prints also retain value as artwork and are sold in many
antique print galleries, particularly in the Pacific Northwest."