Skip to main content

Full text of "Alan Stanley Clark Rogers"

See other formats

%A»t Post 

Digitized by 

the Internet Archive 

in 2015 

He loyally and willingly answered the roll 
call for his King and country, and has gone to 
join the Great Army of his Heavenly King. 



Alan Stanley Clark Rogers, Captain of C 
Company in the 6th Battalion, East Yorkshire 
Regiment, late Lieutenant in the Royal Sussex 
Regiment, Rawal Pindi, India, and the 61st 
King George's Own Pioneers, Bangalore, 
Mysore, India, and ex-member of the Queen's 
Own Rifles, Toronto, Ontario; an old boy 
of Trinity College School, Port Hope, and 
a graduate of Royal Military College, King- 
ston, Ontario ; only son of Edwin R. Rogers, 
1 02 Wells Hill Avenue, Inspector of Prisons 
and Public Charities, Parliament Buildings, 
Toronto, Ontario ; born at Calgary, Alberta, 
November 23rd, 1888, and killed in the 
Dardanelles on the afternoon of Sunday, 
August 8th, 1915. 

*' He gave his life for his friends." 

London, England, 

August 22nd, 1915 


102 Wells Hill Ave., 
Toronto, Ont. 

Deeply regret to have to inform you that 
your son, Lieutenant A. S. C. Rogers, 
Sixty- First Pioneers, attached Sixth East 
Yorkshire Regiment, officially reported Irom 
Dardanelles killed in action between seventh 
and eleventh August. Mr. Secretary 
Chamberlain desires to express sincere sym- 
pathy with you in loss of this gallant officer. 

Military Secretary, 

India Office. 

London. England, 

August 24 tk 1 915 

E. R. Rogers. 

102 Wells Hill Ave., 
Toronto, Ont. 

The King and Queen deeply regret the 
loss you and the Army have sustained by the 
death of your son in the service of his 
country. Their Majesties truly sympathize 
with you in your sorrow. 

The Keeper of the 

Privy Seal. 

THE late Captain Alan S. C. Rogers was bom 
in the City of Calgary, in the Province of 
Alberta, in November, 1888, and resided in that 
city for ten years, where he spent many happy, early 
boyhood days attending the public schools there. He 
moved with the family to West Toronto in the year 
1898 and later passed his public school examination 
for entrance into the High School, and was a member 
of the Cadet Corps which was being formed at that 
time. During his attendance at the High School he 
was seriously injured while kicking a football, and was 
confined to his home and the General Hospital for a 
year and a half. 

He attended St. John's Anglican Church in West 
Toronto, and was confirmed in that church in 1905. 
His Rector (at that time) says : *' No announcement of 
our losses has come quite so keenly to me as Alan*s 
death. He was the finest specimen of young man- 
hood in body and in mind that 1 have known. I got 
acquainted with him in his confirmation days and my first 
impression was never changed. What a noble fellow 
and what a noble death ! What a blessed memory in 
life and in death ! " His Sunday-school teacher writes : 
" Alan died the noblest death a young man of promise 
could die, for the cause of righteousness, peace, justice 
and freedom in the greatest crisis of the British 
Empire's history. It was a proud day for me when 
Alan was confirmed and a prouder day when he took a 
class in the Sunday school." 

He enlisted in the Queen's Own Rifles in the 
Company of Captain (now Brigadier-General) Mercer, 
and in the summer of 1905, instead of taking his usual 

vacation, he attended a class at Stanley Barracks and 
passed his examinations for a Sergeant's certificate, 
v/hich he received. 

In the fall of 1905 he vyrent to Trinity College 
School, Port Hope, and remained there until 1907. 
Rev. Dr. Rigby, who was then the Head Master at 
the School, writes, ** I have none but the happiest 
recollections of Alan Rogers at School. He was one 
of the steadiest of workers and took full part in all the 
activities of the School. He was a member of the foot- 
ball team, Captain of the Cadet Corps, and won the 
Ross rifle for being the best shot. He was also a 
member of the choir and a regular communicant at the 
altar. He was made a prefect, for which his uniform 
good conduct, his reliability and excellent moral influ- 
ence specially fitted him. He was very popular with 
his schoolmates, being noted for his unruffled good 
temper, and he was particularly kind and protective to 
the younger boys. We Masters, too, all valued and 
trusted him, and he passed out of the School with an 
unblemished record, carrying with him the affection and 
respect of us all. There was no boy at the School in 
my time for whom I had a higher regard. His old 
School honours his memory and mourns his loss." 

In the summer of 1907 Captain Rogers passed the 
entrance examinations for the Royal Military College 
at Kingston, and went to that place in the fall of 1907, 
and remained there until the end of the summer term 
in 1910. During his residence at the College he was 
very prominent in all sports in connection with that 
institution, winning many prizes, and before he gradu- 
ated he won the championship cross-country run in the 

best time that was ever made, and also won the heavy- 
weight boxing championship of the College. He stood 
six feet four and one-half inches in height, and was 
familiarly called " Shorty *' by his many intimate friends. 

A former Commandant writes : " Your son was 
one of the very best cadets I ever had under me. 
Quite apart from all his physical advantages, he was a 
man. I always thought that he was a very strong 
character, with lots of thoughtful purpose in him, and 
one who was bound to gain the respect and esteem 
of anyone who got to know him well." 

A valued friend at Kingston writes : " Alan's 
death came to all in our home as a great shock. We 
knew him so well, and his sterling young manhood, his 
many noble, generous and endearing qualities brought 
him very near to the hearts of all. We mourn the loss 
of a brave soldier, a gallant knight, who went forth 
cheerfully at his country's call and who went down to a 
glorious death on fields immortalized through the ages 
for deeds of valour and heroism. All at the Royal 
Military College who knew Alan loved him dearly and 
are proud of his bravery and of the honour he has 
brought to his Alma Mater." 

At the end of his term at the Royal Military Col- 
lege he was awarded a Lieutenancy in the Imperial 
Service, and chose India, on account of the hard work 
and experience that he would receive in his vocation as 
a soldier. Before leaving for England he was made a 
member of Victoria Lodge, A. F. and A. M., No. 
474, G.R.C., West Toronto, His lodge forwarded 
a resolution expressing their most sincere sympathy to 

the relatives and friends of the late Brother Captain 
Alan S. C. Rogers in their bereavement. 

He was notified during the early fall to report at 
the War Office in London, England, and proceeded 
there in October of 1910. He was attached to the 
First Battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment in India, 
and after obtaining his outfit in England proceeded 
there about the middle of November, and his boat 
arrived in the harbour at India in the early part of 
December. On landing from the steamer on the 
following morning Captain Rogers was met by Lieu- 
tenant Guy Hutton (son of Principal Hutton of the 
University of Toronto) whom he followed in the Royal 
Sussex Regiment and who had preceded him by a year 
from the Royal Military College at Kingston and was 
attached to the 22nd Cavalry, Frontier Force. The 
kindly welcome and warm handclasp of a genuine friend 
in a foreign land was greatly appreciated. 

Captain Rogers immediately joined his Regiment 
at Rawal Pindi ; the Regiment is a British Infantry 
one which served with great honour and distinction in 
the South African War and is composed of a splendid 
body of officers and men. He remained there for a 
year, and was then transferred in the early part of 
December, 1911, to the 61st King Ceorge*s Own 
Pioneers, which is a native Infantry Regiment with 
British and Indian Officers, at Bangalore, Mysore. 
He was particularly fortunate in arriving at Delhi in the 
very early morning of the day on which Their Majes- 
ties the King and Queen of England were to take the 
most prominent part in the Durbar. It was his privilege 
to be placed in a favourable position to see all the 

prominent proceedings of the day. On the evening of 
that day a dinner was held in Delhi at which about 
thirty-five graduates of the Royal Military College 
at Kingston attended. During his stay in India, in 
addition to the above named places, Captain Rogers 
was also stationed at Lahore, Umballa, Hyderabad, 
Trichinopoly and Secunderabad. 

During his residence at Bangalore, Mysore, India, 
he was greatly interested and took part in many of the 
sports connected with his Regiment and was awarded, 
in very keen competition, the cup for being the best 
Dismounted British Officer at Arms in the Army in 
India. He received many congratulations, locally, for 
his brilliant achievements in the numerous events in 
which he had competed. 

He remained in India until April, 1914, when he 
was granted one year's furlough sooner than he had 
expected. He left India and went to Ceylon, then to 
Australia, where he was visiting when war was pro- 
claimed. He immediately got into communication with 
his official office in London, England, and sailed for 
New Zealand, and from there to Vancouver and thence 
to Toronto, stopping at Calgary and Winnipeg on the 
way and arriving at home on October 1st last year. 

A friend from Australia writes : ** He was one of 
the finest real men I have ever met. It would do you 
good to hear the people here who met him speak 
of him. Everyone loved him, I do not see how they 
could help it." 

A friend from India writes: '* We were so fond of 
Captain Rogers and he was a very good, true and 
faithful friend to us all. I knew him well during the 

whole oi the three years we were in India and he was, 
I consider, one of the finest young men I ever knew. 
Everyone hked him and he was very popular and in 
great demand in the station ; not only that, but he was 
respected by everyone and I never heard him say an 
unkind word about anyone." 

After arriving at home he felt that the call to 
duty was his first consideration. After a week's stay he 
left Toronto on October 8th, visiting friends at Kingston 
and Montreal on the way, and arrived in England 
shortly after the middle of the month. He was finally 
attached to the Sixth Battalion of the East Yorkshire 
Regiment, and did excellent work in the training of 
officers and men in trench warfare. So well was this 
work done that he was congratulated by his Com- 
mander and appointed a Captain before he left the Old 
Country, and the Regiment to which he was appointed 
were made Pioneers for their good work. He sailed 
with his regiment from England at the end of June and 
landed in the Dardanelles on the 1 5th of July. The 
Country was described by one of his own men as " no 
man's land.'* 

His Battalion had captured a Hill on Sunday 
morning, August 8th, and he went up in the afternoon 
with a patrol and was shot through the head by a 
sniper. After the second action on August 2 1st, 
there were only 4 officers left of the 36 and about 250 
men of the 980 that sailed from England. One of the 
Officers writes : " We lost a good comrade and the 
Nation lost one of the finest and keenest officers when 
we lost your son, and he will be hard to replace in our 
Battalion." Another Officer says : *' The loss of 


Of ^,^-x)B 

Captain Rogers, the first officer casualty in the Battalion, 
naturally cast a gloom over matters, as everybody had 
had much reliance on him. I would ask you to accept 
our sympathy in your loss, which was also most particu- 
larly a loss to our Regiment and the Army." His 
Sergeant, who was with him at the time of his death, 
says : ** He was a fine Officer and we all relied on 
him to show us the way to great things. Hoping you 
will accept mine and all the men of his Company's 
deep sympathy in your and our loss." 

'Vhe Parish Magazine of the Church of St. 
Michael's and All Angels, where the family attends 
service, says : "At the service on August 29th the 
hymn, * For all the Saints who from their labours rest ' 
was sung as a fitting memorial hymn for this gallant 
soldier who truly has given his young and promising 
life for his friends. Captain Rogers was a manly man 
and a fine soldier. All who knew him bore testimony 
to the very high esteem in which he was held. His 
men in India idolized him and the splendid tradi- 
tions of the family to which he belonged found 
one who cherished them dearly. To soften the grief 
for an only son his family can well cherish the memory of 
a gallant soldier who was true to the highest standard 
of manhood, duty and faithful service." 

A Brigadier-General at the Front, in the trenches 
of France, writes : "I trust that my poor words will con- 
vey as far as they can my great sorrow at the loss of a 
splendid comrade, as well as express for you all my 
most sincere sympathy in your great bereavement. 
Like many of my own Brigade Alan counted duty 


more than life and made every sacrifice with cheerful- 
ness. The sad reality of war has come home to you 
in a terribly grievous way. Alan made the great 
sacrifice cheerfully for humanity, honour, right dealing 
between nations and individuals, as well as for the 
liberty and freedom of the Empire. In Alan's death I 
feel a deep personal loss. He was a splendid fellow 
and a fine soldier. Do not think that your sacrifice is 
in vain, for * The Hand that bringeth sorrow is still the 
Hand of Love.* " 

A kind friend writes : ** Let me send to you our 
deepest sympathy. The days of our years slip away 
like shadows, but I am proud to know you as the father 
of the son who sleeps so softly by the Dardanelles, 
duty all done and so bravely done. I live and work 
amongst broken men, wrecks and driftwood. My 
heart seems to tell me that here and now and hereafter 
some tender glow of the ever-growing Divine tender- 
ness shall be the part of the family who placed their 
all on the altar. I pray that the Comfort of God may 
rest on you and yours, even as He has given His 
angels charge over the slumber of your son." 

Captain Rogers came from a long line of soldiers 
who had fought for the defence of Canada through 
centuries past. When he attended the Tercentenary 
at Quebec as a Cadet from the Royal Military College, 
he was one of the very few soldiers attending that event 
whose ancestors had taken part in the defence of that 
ancient city, and the old powder horn which was made 
to replace the one which was shot away from the side 
of his forefather still remains a relic of ancient times. 

Captain Rogers was a great - grandnephew of 

Colonel Robert Rogers, who came to Canada as a 
Military Ruler after the conquest by Wolfe in 1 759. 
That hero was the cause of the name of Rogers* Slide 
at Lake George, and the place still retains the name on 
account of the incident which occurred. Rogers was 
chased by the Indians and came to a steep precipice 
and, finding that he could not proceed farther, threw 
his knapsack over the precipice to mislead the Indians 
and walked back on reversed snowshoes until he came 
to a spot where he could get away. The Indians 
followed his track to the top of the precipice and, 
suddenly seeing him speeding across the ice below, 
they imagined that he had been assisted by the Great 
Spirit to get down the precipice and they feared to 
pursue him on that account. 

The grandfather of Captain Rogers, in the 
rebellion of 1837, recruited a company from the 
Peterborough district and marched to Toronto and took 
boat there to Niagara Falls. He was the last man on 
board the steamer Caroline when she was released and 
sent over the Falls by the British and Canadian soldiers. 
Again, in the Rebellion of 1866, he, with his son 
and other relations, responded to the call at that time 
and was Colonel of the 57th Battalion. In the North- 
West in 1885, his uncle Alfred took part — with the 
Battalion from Peterborough, Port Hope and Lindsay 
— in the suppression of the Riel Rebellion, and still 
resides in Calgary. 

Captain Rogers' uncle, James Z., enlisted at the 
formation of the Battalion in 1867 and was Colonel of 
the 57th Regiment at Peterborough for some sixteen 




g )OB 

years, and his father's cousins, Robert Z., of Grafton, 
Ontario, was Colonel of the 40th Regiment with 
headquarters at Cobourg, and Henry C, of Peter- 
borough, was Colonel of the Third The Prince of 
Wales Canadian Dragoons for many years — all three 
receiving the Fenian Raid Medal of 1 866 and the 
General Service Medal. His other uncles and 
relatives also served in the 57th and other Battalions. 
His father served in the 57th Battalion, was a member 
of the Queen's Own Rifles, an officer in the 90th 
Rifles at Winnipeg, Manitoba, and a member of the 
Home Guard at Calgary in 1885. At the present 
time he has a cousin on the staff of Sir John French in 
France, another cousin as Colonel of one of the 
Battalions in the trenches at the Front, another cousin who 
did brave work on the machine gun section and is now 
a prisoner of war at Geissen, Germany ; another who 
is in command of the Military Force near Simla, India ; 
another an officer in the Transportation Force at Shorn- 
cliffe in England ; another an officer at Bramshott 
Camp, England ; another an officer who has just sailed 
for England with the Engineers, and another a doctor 
attached to the Forces in England. 

Captain Rogers was of a lovable nature, and 
chose for himself the profession he liked best. He 
was a noble son, a brave and fearless officer, and, while 
many regrets have been expressed at his loss, it is felt 
that he died in a manner that he would have chosen- 
fighting for his country and the protection of the 

" And how can man die better than facing fearful odds 
For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his gods ? " 


g o a] 

There was no sacrifice on his part — just the loss of 
a loving and loyal son of this great Dominion of 
Canada who gave his life willingly for his King and 
country and who in Canada, India, Australia, England 
and the Dardanelles did his part in cementing together 
this great Empire. 

The hundreds of kind letters of sympathy that 
have been received by the family from Calgary, 
Winnipeg, Toronto, Kingston, Hamilton, Peter- 
borough, London, and many places show that the 
memory of the life work of Alan Rogers amongst the 
people wherever he lived is buried deep in the hearts 
of friends who loved him for his own splendid worth 
and genial disposition. One friend writes : " He had 
all the things one loves most in a man — strength, 
simplicity and courage.'* 

He leaves to mourn his loss Mr. and Mrs. Rogers 
and two sisters — Bessie and Rita — his grandmother, 
Mrs. Thomas Clark, of Winnipeg, and many other 
relatives, besides a multitude of loving friends. 

" To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die." 
He's just gone away. 

With a cheery smile and a wave of the hand 
He has wandered into some unknown land. 
And left us dreaming how very fair 
it needs must be since he lingers there. 

Alan ^tmh^ Ollark Ungrra 

Calgary, Alberta 1888-1898 

West Toronto, Onl. - - - - 1898-1905 

Queen's Own Rifles, 

Toronto, Ont. - - - - 1903-1905 

Trinity College School, 

Port Hope, Ont. - - - 1905-1907 

Royal Military College, 

Kingston, Ont. - - - - 1907-1910 

Royal Sussex Regiment, 

Rawal Pindi, India - - - 1910-1911 

6 1 St King George's Own Pioneers, 

Bangalore, India - - - 1911-1914 

6th Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment, 

Surrey, England, - - - 1914-1915 

The Dardanelles, July 1 5th-August 8th, 1915. 

flf mmii kltf^ fvitnhB in tlft ibt atlj af tiff tr 
fion anil btat^n 

(Slnptum Mm ffi. EDg^ra 

Augiwl 24tij. X915. 

Xfl2 m^iia ma An*.. 
Ol0r0nla. (©ntarto 

IKtlkb in Kttxm 

Somewhere in the Dardanelles he lies, 

Our boy with the laughing and kind blue eyes ; 

1 said " Good-bye," it seems but yesterday 

He clasped my hand in his manly grip. 

1 can see him now with his smiling lip 

And his chin held high in the old proud way. 

The very Salt ol our Canadian earth, 

A boy full of promise and of great worth. 

Tall and straight and true as the blade at his side ; 

Instant to answer his country's call 

He leaped to the fray to fight and fall, 

And there, in his youth's full blood, he died. 

Victor he is, though in his grave. 
For all that he had to give, he willingly gave. 
Nor may we weep for the might-have-been ; 
For ihe quenchless flame of a heart aglow 
Burns clear, that the soul yet blind may know 
The vision splendid his eyes have seen. 

Weep for the poor, worthless and wasted life 
Of him who shrinks and shirks from the strife. 
Shunning the path that the brave have trod ; 
Weep not for the boy whose task is done. 
Who strove with his face to the morning sun 
And has gone with the angels up to his God. 

At ?tJ^nitt0 ttmp it sI)aU bt listjt* 

Until tl|f hn^ hr^ak mh ttjfi^ stialiQmB amag. 

mnt o g ~.i~-X 3Ei