Skip to main content

Full text of "Faculty of Fine Arts Council Minutes 2001-09-21"

See other formats


Concordia University 
Faculty of Fine Arts Council 
Minutes of the Meeting of September 21, 2001 


Present: C. Jackson (Chair); J. Acland, K. Austin, I. Bachmann, L. Berezowsky, D. 
Berthiaume, M. Corwin, P. Cousineau-Levine, A. Fairchild, K. Griffin, H. Johnson, 
W. Krol, P.Langdon, P.K. Langshaw, B. Layne, L. Lerner, C. MacKenzie, E. 
Mongerson, K. O’Brien, S. Panet-Raymond, K. Perry, E. Sacca, J. Werner 


Absent with apologies: 
M. Brodeur, D. Pariser, C. Russell 

Guests: E. Abitbol, K. Adams, H. Cossette, A. French, J.-P. Duchesne, J. Lefebvre, D. 
Morin 

1. Appointments to Fine Arts Faculty Council (FFAC-01-09-21-D1) 

MOTION: (MacKenzie, Corwin) 


“that the following appointments to Fine Arts Faculty Council be approved: 


Department Representatives (2 year term) 


D. Terry, Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema 
D. Pariser, Department of Art Education 

J. Werner, Department of Studio Arts 

K. Austin, Department of Music 


Part Time Faculty Representatives (1 year term) 
L. Berezowsky, Department of Studio Arts 

H. Johnson, Department of Studio Arts 

D. Vivian, Department of Theatre." 


CARRIED 
Zs Approval of the Agenda 


MOTION: (Mongerson, Fairchild) 
“that the agenda for the meeting of September 21, 2001 be approved.” 
CARRIED 
3. Approval of the Minutes of the Meeting of April 27, 2001 
MOTION: (Fairchild, Langdon) 
“that the minutes of the meeting of April 27, 2001 be approved.” 
CARRIED 


4, Business Arising from the Minutes 
There was no business arising from the minutes. 
a: Centraide 


The Dean introduced Associate Dean Danielle Morin of the John Molson School of Business who 
was present to launch the Centraide campaign at Concordia. She explained the importance of 
Centraide in funding many community based organizations, and asked Fine Arts staff and faculty to 
give generously to the campaign. A donation card will be sent with the October 4th pay, which can 
be used to make payroll deductions to the campaign. 


6. Chair’s Remarks 


The Dean welcomed the members of Council to the first meeting of the 2001-2002 academic year. 
He noted that Council is the official academic decision making body for the Faculty of Fine Arts, 
and is also a vehicle for the exchange of information. The minutes are distributed to all departments 
monthly. He then asked all members present to introduce themselves. 


The Dean made the following remarks: 


° Many faculty members continue to be successful in obtaining major research grants. 
Stephen Snow, Associate Professor in the Creative Arts Therapies programme, has obtained 
a major SSHRC grant. This is an important breakthrough on the research front, as it 
marks the first time that the arts therapies have received funding from this granting agency. 


e Yves Bilodeau, Assistant Professor in the Department of Studio Arts, has been awarded an 
$80,000 research grant by the Fondation Daniel Langlois. 


° SSHRC is in the process of developing a new granting programme for the Fine Arts, which 
will be similar to the FCAR programme "subventions pour les chercheurs/créateurs". Lynn 
Hughes is our representative on the committee. ° 


° The Faculty has a new Recruitment Officer, Amanda French. She will be contacting 
individual departments shortly to assess needs and develop a recruitment plan. 


° Enrolments are up by 6% to 7% over last year. 


° The Faculty’s operating budget for 2001-2002 has not yet been received from the 
University. A new budgeting process, which is essentially FTE driven, is being proposed 
for this year. At this point, having balanced its budget last year, there seems to be reason for 
the Faculty to have cautious optimism concerning this year’s operating budget. 


° This system of FTE driven budgets also means that the Faculty’s Financial Plan, which 
outlined several measures for increasing the Faculty’s FTEs, through privatization, general 
education, and improved retention, will become a central focus this year. The new budgeting 
system has many disadvantages for Fine Arts; because the rate of funding is not 
concomitant with actual costs, the Faculty is essentially underfunded. As a result, 
management of enrolments will be critical to maintaining the Faculty’s budget. 


A decision to devolve certain IITS services to Faculties and maintain only university-wide 
services under the IITS umbrella was made late last spring. As a result, Associate Dean 
Andrea Fairchild has been asked to assess existing IITS services used by the Fine Arts. In 
doing so, she will conduct a needs assessment, consult with all academic departments, and 
the Faculty’s own Centre for Digital Arts, and make a series of final recommendations on 
devolvement by December 1, 2001. Until such time as her analysis is completed, ITS 
staff, services and facilities continue to report to the Director of IITS, Andrew McAusland. 


There are several new appointments in the Dean’s Office: Wolf Krol is the new Associate 
Dean of Physical Resources. John Locke has completed his term as Associate Dean but 
will continue to work on the New Building Project for Fine Arts. Andrea Fairchild’s term 
as Associate Dean will finish on December 31. She will be replaced by Brian Foss, on 
January 1, as Associate Dean, Academic and Student Affairs. Dean Jackson has been 
appointed Acting Director-General of the Institute for Research and Creation‘in the Media 
Arts and Technology (Hexagram). To assist during the period of his directorship, Andrea 
Fairchild has been appointed Executive Associate Dean of the Faculty, and will work closely 
with the Dean to ensure continuity of the Faculty’s day-to-day operations. 


The tragedy of September 11th has affected all members of our community; sadly, this is 
likely to have an impact on teaching and learning, for a long period of time. 


Question Period 


Regarding ITS devolvement, K. Austin described his involvement over a thirty year period 
at the University with some of these issues. Since the 1970’s, four areas - Library, AV, 
Computing Services and Communication Systems - though clearly inter-related, have been 
distinct administrative entities. As the University evolved, and particularly as these services 
were housed in different buildings, the lack of communication between them became more 
and more problematic. This is the larger context for the present discussion. Ultimately, 
every classroom in the University needs to become a “smart” classroom, and projects such 
as “distance education” must also be advanced. The present system has already decayed, 
and must be overhauled quickly and completely, in order to address current needs. 


Regarding the Strategic Plan, K. Griffin asked about progress on the report on technical 
support staff. She added that three recent position abolitions have caused a “negative 
spirit” among staff, and re-inforce the perception that consultation is not taking place. A 
request to keep offices open during lunch hours, without consultation, has also disturbed 
staff. 


In response, the Dean re-iterated that there will be consultation with technical support staff 
on the issues. However, the position abolitions are not related to this process, and are not 
appropriate for discussion at Council. He re-affirmed his belief that the outcome of such a 
report will be positive, but it is a complex task, requiring among other things, a thorough 
review of present and projected needs, for the technical group. Regarding office hours and 
access, the need to service students is both a recruitment and a retention issue. The ability 
to make contact and obtain service provides an important first impression to students; more 
attention must be paid to these issues. 


K. Griffin noted that staff have not drawn any conclusions and remain open to the process; 
however, perception is an important element in ensuring a productive outcome. 


8. 


Regarding budget, C. MacKenzie asked if cautious optimism extended to an 18% increase, 
which is what would be needed to return department budgets to their “pre-budget cut” 
levels. The Dean could not guarantee that this would be the outcome. 


Regarding recruitment, S. Panet-Raymond wondered about budget. Many departments use 
their own funds to pay for recruitment activities; will there be a collective mechanism now to 
pay for some of these activities. In response, the Dean asked Jean-Pierre Duchesne and 
Amanda French to make some recommendations concerning budget, after they have met 
with each department and assessed needs. 


D. Berthiaume asked when the Budget Officer would be replaced. She added that 
departments were not sure how or where to address budget queries in the absence of a 
Faculty Budget Officer. In response, the Dean explained that recruitment for a Financial 
and Planning Officer was currently in progress and would be completed shortly. In the 
meantime, Shirley McLeod is handling budget matters. 


Regarding budget, E. Saccd noted that this method of budget distribution within the 
University is a recent phenomenon. The trend towards getting only the funding earned 
hurts Fine Arts more than the other Faculties. 


In conjunction with the above, S. Panet-Raymond raised the issue of Fine Arts students 
continuing to follow elective courses outside the Faculty of Fine Arts, in particular, whether 
this was detrimental to our own bottom line. 


A discussion of general education then ensued. C. MacKenzie mentioned that Arts and 
Science is looking for Fine Arts courses (3 credit models are preferable) and there seems to 
be an opportunity for us to work with them on their general education requirements. She 
suggested emphasizing existing courses, and reserving a couple of places per course for 
Arts and Science students. L. Lerner had discussed the same with Bill Byers, who is 
coordinating the general education requirement for Arts and Science. She also believed that 
they were very open to receiving suggestions from Fine Arts. 


S. Panet-Raymond wondered how courses fulfilling general education requirements were 
indicated in the timetable and Calendar. In response, A. Fairchild noted that there will be a 
special section in this year's Calendar outlining each Faculty’s general education 
requirements. 


Regarding budget, K. Austin asked if the University had now instituted a system of budget 
based upon enrolments earned, would the Faculty also extend this system to its own 
departments. The Dean stated that this would not occur within Fine Arts and that 
“equalization” payments within the Faculty would continue. He also added that the 
University has maintained a partial equalization system. Unfortunately, even with this 
formula, the Fine Arts budget remains status quo, except for FTE increases, while the other 
Faculties will receive budget increases, even before FTE increases are calculated. 


Appointments to Senate and Committees of Senate (FFAC-01-09-21-D2) 


MOTION: (Fairchild, Cousineau-Levine) 


“that the following appointments to Senate and Committees of Senate be approved: 


Senate: (1 year term) 
L. Roberge, Department of Studio Arts 


University Library Committee (3 year term) 
S. Paikowsky, Department of Art History." 


9, Appointments to the Council of Graduate Studies (FFAC-01-09-21-D3) 
There were no appointments submitted. 
10. Undergraduate Curriculum Report #73 (FFAC-01-09-21-D4) 
MOTION: (Fairchild, Langdon) 

“that Undergraduate Curriculum Report #73 be approved.” 


Associate Dean A. Fairchild presented the report, which consists of minor changes in the 
Department of Music and the Department of Studio Arts. 


K. Austin spoke against the proposed minor changes in the Specialization in Music Theory and 
Composition. He pointed out that there are only 2 students currently enrolled in the Specialization 
and asked that the entire Specialization be given a significant review. Enrolments, particularly in 
required courses like INMS 450, have declined to a level that requires the course be taught as an 
“overload” by full time faculty. Electro-acoustic students were formerly enrolled in this 
Specialization, but now have their own Major. This has also contributed to its demise. He asked 
Faculty Council to send a clear message to the Department of Music that the Specialization be re- 
examined. 


M. Corwin spoke in favour of the minor changes. A retired faculty member in the composition area 
will be replaced this year, making discussion of the programme’s future somewhat premature. 


S. Panet-Raymond asked if required courses such as INMS 450 had to be offered. In response, 
M. Corwin noted that they had been, but as overload teaching by a full time faculty member. E. 
Mongerson added that “volunteerism” cannot always be counted upon - however, he saw that 
substitutions are always possible, and that a distinction must be made between curricular and 
enrolment issues. All courses offered must meet the Faculty’s minimum enrolment policy. 


P. Cousineau-Levine asked for clarification regarding INMS 450 and INMS 460 before voting. In 
response, M. Corwin explained that INMS 460 is being made a required course, and has healthy 
enrolments (15 - 16). Previously, it was included as an option on a list of several courses. These 
other courses have now been dropped from the required list. INMS 450 was a required course 
previously, and no change is presently contemplated nor presented in the Curriculum Report. 


A friendly amendment, separating the above motion into two parts, was then made: 
MOTION: (Fairchild, Corwin) 


“that Minor Curriculum Changes presented by the Department of Music (pgs. 1 -4) of 
Undergraduate Curriculum Report #73 be approved.” 


FOR: 17 
AGAINST: 0 
ABSTENTIONS: 5 


CARRIED 
MOTION: (Fairchild, Langdon) 


“that Minor Curriculum Changes presented by the Department of Studio Arts (pgs. 5 and 
6) of Undergraduate Curriculum Report #73 be approved.” 


After a brief discussion, the question was called and CARRIED. 
11. Graduate Curriculum Report #72 (FFAC-01-09-21-D5) 
MOTION: (Fairchild, Langdon) 

"that Graduate Curriculum Report #72 be approved." 


Associate Dean A. Fairchild introduced the changes which have been proposed by the Creative Arts 
Therapies, including changing the course code from ATRP to CATS, the addition of 6 credits of 
Psychology to the admission requirements, and an extension of the time limit for program 
completion from 2 years to 4 years to bring it into line with similar programs. 


After a brief discussion, the question was called and CARRIED. 
12. Institute for Research and Creation in the Media Arts and Technology (Hexagram) 


Dean Jackson introduced the item, explaining that Hexagram, the Institute for Research and 
Creation in the Media Arts and Technology, is a joint venture with Université du Québec a 
Montréal, and also includes a minor partnership with Université de Montréal. He thanked both 
Associate Dean Barbara Layne and Lynn Hughes for the work they had done in developing several 
funding proposals (VRQ, FCAR, CFI) for the Institute. $1.5 million has already been released for 
start up of the Institute. 


He then asked Associate Dean Layne to continue the presentation. The fact that the Institute's 
research programs are entirely arts-driven is both fundamental and unique. Its artist/researchers 
will be involved in eight areas of research involving the arts and technology: 


Emerging Cinema and Virtual Characters 

Adaptive, Broadband and Wireless Video 

Interactive Television and Virtual Communities 

Interactive Performance and Sound 

Immersive Environments, Virtual Reality, and Digital Gaming 
Robotic Arts and Artificial Life 

Interactive Textiles and Wearable Computers 

Advanced Digital Imaging and Rapid Prototyping 


After a brief power point presentation on the Institute, there were several questions and comments 


6 


from the floor: 


W. Krol raised the issue of balance between the digital and traditional arts. Dean Jackson 
agreed that this was the most important question before the Faculty at this time, and that a 
common strategy was needed. The research of the Institute is content, not technology, 
driven; this focus is common to all artist/researchers at Concordia, regardless of medium or 
whether involved in the traditional or non-traditional arts. 


P. Langdon was impressed by the level of communication between the institutions, as 
demonstrated by the presentation; the formality of the process appears to have been helpful. 


P.K. Langshaw saw many opportunities for exchange between the digital and traditional 
arts, through such projects as virtual galleries and nomadic documentation. 


During the first term, Associate Dean B. Layne will establish the Digital Council, as 
outlined in the Faculty's Strategic Plan. This Council is the venue for discussion of many 
these matters, including the question of balance between digital and traditional media. 


K. Austin noted that the absence of a psychometric dimension, i.e. human perception, visual 
modelling, in the Institute's proposed research projects. He also added that McGill had 
included this aspect in their research project involving music and perception. Associate 
Dean B. Layne indicated that the Institute was familiar with the work of the McGill team 
and that contact had already been established. 


E. Saccé and M. Corwin thanked Associate Dean B. Layne, Dean Jackson and the members 
of the Institute for their work on behalf of the Faculty. 


All members of Council applauded the presentation and echoed their thanks for the excellent work 
that had already been done. 


13. 


Adjournment 


The meeting was then adjourned. 


Respectfully submitted, 


S. McLeod 
October 11, 2001