Full text of "Notes"
Early Journal Content on JSTOR, Free to Anyone in the World
This article is one of nearly 500,000 scholarly works digitized and made freely available to everyone in
the world by JSTOR.
Known as the Early Journal Content, this set of works include research articles, news, letters, and other
writings published in more than 200 of the oldest leading academic journals. The works date from the
mid-seventeenth to the early twentieth centuries.
We encourage people to read and share the Early Journal Content openly and to tell others that this
resource exists. People may post this content online or redistribute in any way for non-commercial
Read more about Early Journal Content at http://about.jstor.org/participate-jstor/individuals/early-
JSTOR is a digital library of academic journals, books, and primary source objects. JSTOR helps people
discover, use, and build upon a wide range of content through a powerful research and teaching
platform, and preserves this content for future generations. JSTOR is part of ITHAKA, a not-for-profit
organization that also includes Ithaka S+R and Portico. For more information about JSTOR, please
ARCHAEOLOGICAL PROGRESS IN PALESTINE AND SYRIA
The Quarterly Statement of the Palestine Exploration should be
taken and read by everyone interested in the archaeology of Palestine.
We may here only refer to the concise account of recent work in that
land for the period July 1920-December 1921 from the pen of Professor
Garstang, Director of the British School, in the April number of the
Statement. The same number contains a reprint in part of an excellent
article by Prof. R. A. S. Macalister, which appeared in the November
number of the Expository Times on "Thirty Years of Palestine
The French journal Syrie keeps us informed of the forward movements
being pressed in Syrian archaeology. The works undertaken there, as
reported in the volume for 1921, include: (1) Excavations at Tell Nebi
Minda (Kadesh of the Hittites (?) ) ; (2) the study of the mediaeval mon-
uments at Tortosa; (3) continuation of excavation at Sidon; (4) excava-
tions at Tyre. Notice is made of the remarkable finds at Byblos, where
in addition to the names of inscriptions of Rameses II and Thothmes
III inscribed vases of kings Unas and Pepi, V and VI Dynasty, respectively,
have been discovered. In view of these notable finds the French Academy
of Inscriptions and Belles-Lettres has determined to undertake further
excavations at this ancient meeting-point of Egypt and Syria.
A Palestine Oriental Society was founded in Jerusalem through the
stimulus of Professor Clay, and is publishing a most creditable Journal,
now in its second volume, Director Albright being one of the editors. We
have also to note the establishment of an Arab Academy at Damascus,
which has begun publishing a journal (part 1, Damascus, 1921), La Revue
de l'Acad^mie Arabe.
MEETINGS OF TRUSTEES
A meeting of the Trustees was held at the Columbia Club, New York
City, February 18. The most important business was the selection of the
building plans. The results of the action taken are given above.
Prof. Max L. Margolis, of Dropsie College, was appointed Annual
Professor at Jerusalem for 1924-25.
The Zion Research Foundation had generously given the widest
latitude in the use of its gift of $1000 for the discovery of Biblical manu-
scripts, and it was voted to use part of this fund for defraying the cost of
a trip which it is expected Professor Hatch will make next winter to Mount
Sinai to search for manuscripts in the Convent of St. Catharine.
Action was taken in the matter of simplifying and combining various
funds of the corporation. Various moneys were united in an Excavation
Fund, which is to be used for excavations, and this now amounts to $3,500.
A meeting of the Trustees was held at the Old Colony Club, New
York City, May 6, and various matters of business transacted.
Prof. R. V. D. Magoffin, of Johns Hopkins University, was elected
President of the Archaeological Institute at Christmas and we welcome him
to the Board of Trustees. He has issued an inspiring circular letter to all
the members of the Institute, calling their attention to the present oppor-
tunity for American research in archaeology. He says, inter alia: "Funds
for excavations are especially needed by all our Schools. Books, buildings,
and accessories of various kinds come next, The Greek and Oriental
Schools just now need the most, and can with profit use the money best. . . "
He proceeds boldly to ask for a quarter of a million endowment for each of
the five schools of the Institute. It is the new President's policy to draw
closer the bonds between the Institute and the Schools, to insist that the
responsibility of the Institute and the several Schools is mutual. He is
making a drive for a 10,000 membership of the Institute.
The first volume of the Annual of our Schools has been widely and
favorably noticed in the archaeological journals. Syrie, the handsome
archaeological quarterly published under the direction of the French
government in Syria, speaks of it thus: "La premier volume, solidement
cartonne, imprime" sur beau papier, abondamment illustrS, fait, par sa
composition, bien inaugurer de Pavenir." A double volume of the Annual
(II and III) is now being edited by President Moulton, of Bangor Theo-
logical Seminary, and is partly in print.
A series of eight lectures were delivered by Director Albright and
Professor Hinke at the School in Jerusalem in November. In December
the Director gave a series of five lectures and in January Dr. Hinke a like
number of lectures. Various phases of Oriental civilization, history and
religion were covered. They were well attended and make part of our
contribution to the intellectual life of Jerusalem.
The Thayer Fellowship at the School in Jerusalem, the gift of the
Archaeological Institute, has been gained for 1922-23 by Martin J.
Wyngaarden, M.A., Harrison Fellow in the Graduate School of the
University of Pennsylvania, where he expects to receive the Doctorate in
Philosophy at the coming Commencement. Mr. Wyngaarden received
his education at the University of Washington, Princeton University, and
Princeton Theological Seminary.
Prof. A. V. Williams Jackson will represent the schools at the cen-
tenary celebration of the Soci^te" Asiatique in Paris in July. This cele-
bration will coincide with the centennial of Champollion's decipherment
of the Kosetta Stone .
The current number of Art and Archaeology gives full reports of a
munificent gift received by the School at Athens. M. Johannes Gannadius,
Dean of the Diplomatic Service of Graece and representative of his country
at the Washington Disarmament Conference, has donated to the School
his unique Hellenic library, consisting of 50,000 titles, along with a valuable
art collection. The chief condition of the gift is that a building be pro-
vided for the collection.
Annual Professor Hinke is on his way home, after a very profitable
year, and expects to arrive in New York June 8.