Early Journal Content on JSTOR, Free to Anyone in the World
This article is one of nearly 500,000 scholarly works digitized and made freely available to everyone in
the world by JSTOR.
Known as the Early Journal Content, this set of works include research articles, news, letters, and other
writings published in more than 200 of the oldest leading academic journals. The works date from the
mid-seventeenth to the early twentieth centuries.
We encourage people to read and share the Early Journal Content openly and to tell others that this
resource exists. People may post this content online or redistribute in any way for non-commercial
Read more about Early Journal Content at http://about.jstor.org/participate-jstor/individuals/early-
JSTOR is a digital library of academic journals, books, and primary source objects. JSTOR helps people
discover, use, and build upon a wide range of content through a powerful research and teaching
platform, and preserves this content for future generations. JSTOR is part of ITHAKA, a not-for-profit
organization that also includes Ithaka S+R and Portico. For more information about JSTOR, please
Volume XXXI Part I 1912
THE forty-seventh meeting of the Society was held in
Sherred Hall of the General Theological Seminary,
Ninth Avenue and Twenty-first Street, New York City, on
Thursday and Friday, December 28th and 29th, 1911. The
first session began at 11.10 A.M., with President Burton in
the Chair. The reading of the records was dispensed with,
as they had been distributed in print. The Recording Sec-
retary and the Corresponding Secretary read their annual
reports, which were accepted and placed on file. Professor
Denslow presented the invitation of the General Theological
Seminary, making the members of the Society the guests of
the Seminary during the sessions.
The President appointed Professors Bacon, Barton, and
Jastrow, a Committee to nominate officers. Professor Prince
read the Treasurer's report. The Recording Secretary read
his financial statement. These two papers were referred to
Professors Frame and Betteridge as an Auditing Committee.
At 11.30 Professor Burton gave the Presidential address
on " Some Phases of the Synoptic Problem." In view of the
general interest shown in this paper, it was voted to open it
to discussion. The Vice-President, Professor Paton, took the
Chair. The subject was discussed by Professors Bacon, Porter,
and Barton, Professor Burton making some remarks in reply.
At 12.35, the President resumed the Chair. Professor
Arnold read a paper on " The Passover Papyrus from Ele-
phantine." This was discussed until 1 p.m., when a recess
was taken for lunch and social hour.
11 SOCIETY OF BIBLICAL LITERATURE
Thursday P.M. The Society resumed its session at 2.25.
Papers were read and discussed as follows: By Professor
Jastrow : " On the Original Character of the Atonement
Festival." By Professor Wood: "St. Paul's Use of Pro-
phetic and Priestly Scriptures." Professor Hyvernat gave
an account of the Coptic manuscripts in the library of
Mr. John Pierpont Morgan, and exhibited many facsimiles
of these rare papers. Professor Bewer gave the following
critical notes : (1) " The Superscription of the Oracle against
Edom in Isa. 21 11." (2) "Did the Jews plan to build a
Yahweh Temple in Babylonia ? " (3) " The Originality of the
Samaritan Reading Q-erizim in Dt. 27 4." Professor Paton
read on " Dagon and Dagan," Professor Haupt on " John
Hyrcanus's Campaign against the Edomites," Dr. Schick on
"Some Difficult Passages in the Psalms." Professor Mont-
gomery presented three notes, as follows : (1) " On Hoze,
Isa. 12 is." (2) "On Succoth-Benoth, 2 Kings 17 30."
(3) " On the Name Ahikar." Professor Heffern read on
"The Four Women in the Genealogy of Christ."
Adjourned for dinner and social hour.
Thursday evening. The Society met at 8 in the library.
The librarian of the Seminary, Mr. Edward Harmon Virgin,
gave a very interesting and familiar talk on some books and
manuscripts of especial value, which the library contains,
and invited the members to inspect them.
The report of the Director of the American School in
Jerusalem, Prof. Charles Rufus Brown, was read by the
Recording Secretary. Professor Shepard read on "A Mas-
soretic Manuscript of the Old Testament, of date 1264, in
the Library of the General Theological Seminary."
The remainder of the evening was spent in an informal
examination of the rich treasures of the library.
Adjourned at 10.
Friday A.M., December 29. The Society met at 9.20. The
Council reported that they had reelected Prof. J. A. Mont-
gomery as Corresponding Secretary, and Prof. B. W. Bacon
and Rev. W. H. Cobb as additional members of the Pub-
PROCEEDINGS FOE DECEMBER, 1911 iii
lishing Committee ; also that the time and place of the next
meeting are to be arranged in conjunction with the meeting
of the Archaeological Institute, provided the latter meeting
is held not further west than Washington, D.C.
The Council nominated the following active members,
who were then unanimously elected :
Prof. Alfred E. Alton, Hamilton, N.Y.
Miss Ethel Cutler, B.D., New York City.
Rev. F. C. Harding, Yonkers, N.Y.
Miss Harriet E. Johnson, Boston.
Rev. Robert F. Lau, New York City.
Rev. Fred. M. Lindsay, New York City.
Rev. George Norcross, D.D., Carlisle, Pa.
Rev. Daniel I. Odell, Philadelphia.
Prof. Wm. R. Newbold, Philadelphia.
Prof. Llewellyn Phillips, Bucknell Univ., Pa.
Prof. J. Milton Vance, Wooster Univ., Ohio.
Rev. H. B. Vanderbogart, Middletown, Conn.
Miss Katrine Wheelock, New York City.
Rev. Wm. C. White, Aurora-on-Cayuga, N.Y.
Miss Eleanor D. Wood, Wellesley College, Mass.
Professor Wood offered the following resolution : That the
thanks of the Society be returned to the General Theo-
logical Seminary for the hospitable and bountiful arrange-
ments provided for this meeting. This was adopted by a
unanimous vote. Informal remarks were made by several
members favoring a closer affiliation between the Society
and the School at Jerusalem.
Professor Jastrow, of the Nominating Committee, reported
the following list of officers:
Prof. Lewis B. Paton President.
Prof. George A. Barton Vice-President.
Rev. Wm. H. Cobb Recording Secretary.
Prof. J. Dyneley Prince Treasurer.
Prof. H. P. Smith
Prof. E. D. Burton Associates
Prof. W. R. Arnold • in
Prof. W. R. Betteridge Council.
Prof. L. W. Batten
Prof. J. P. Peters \ To represent the
Pres. Mary A. Woolley • Society on the
Prof. A. T. Clay J Palestine School.
These were all unanimously elected.
IV SOCIETY OF BIBLICAL LITERATURE
It was voted to send the Treasurer a set of the Journal
to replace one lost in the burning of his home.
It was voted to limit the reading of papers to twenty
minutes each. During the remainder of the morning papers
were read and discussed as follows : By Professor Schmidt :
" The ' God of the Hebrews ' in the Paris Magical Papyrus,
11. 3019 ff." By Dr. Poebel: "The Royal Standing-Place
in the Temple." By Dr. Vanderburgh: "The Ode on the
King of Babylon, Isa. 14 4b-2i." By Professor Barton:
" The Hebrew Originals of the Names of Angels and Demons
in Ethiopic Enoch." By Professor Stearns: "A Collation
of the Papyrus Fragments bearing on the New Testament
Text." By Professor Haupt : " The Prayer of Moses, the
Man of God." By Professor Moulton: "Irenseus on the
Dating of the Gospels." By Professor Yerkes : " Some Notes
on the Use of El in Genesis." By Professor Montgomery :
"New Testament Quotations in the Odes of Solomon."
Adjourned at 1 p.m.
William H. Cobb,
[The List of Members and Constitution and By-Laws will appear at the
end of the Volume.]